Types of Help

Getting Help

If you feel you need some help, then have a yarn with someone from the following services:

  • Alcohol and Drug Support Line (08) 9442 5000 or 1800 198 024 (country callers)
  • Parent and Family Drug Support Line (08) 9442 5050 or 1800 653203 (country callers) and please ask for a free copy of the Information and Support Pack for Aboriginal Parents and Families.
  • Alcohol and Drug Support Service online service which is available from 7am – 10pm, daily.
  • Aboriginal Alcohol and Drug Service 9221 1411
  • Derbarl Yerrigan Health Service 9421 3888
  • or your local Aboriginal Health Service

Helping Others

As a parent, grandparent or family member you might feel very frustrated, upset or hurt by a loved ones drug use. You might not totally understand why they have a drug dependency and you might suggest they just quit. However, this is not always an easy option. Withdrawal symptoms can be really unpleasant so most people avoid them at all costs. It’s also important to keep in mind that there is no evidence that a young person experimenting with or using drugs occasionally will become dependent on that drug.

It’s important to know that your feelings are normal and valid. Common feelings you may have include: anger, grief, shame, confusion, sadness and feeling over-whelmed and alone.

This website uses cookies and third-party services.